Spicy Sichuan (Dan Dan) Noodles
2.25 litres (4 pints) water
250g fresh or dried egg noodles
1.5tbsp groundnut oil
3tbsp finely chopped garlic
2tbsp peeled & finely chopped fresh root ginger
4tbsp finely chopped spring onion
375g minced pork
2tbsp smooth peanut butter
2tbsp dark soy sauce
2tbsp chilli oil
2tbsp chilli bean sauce
175ml chicken stock
1tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
2tsp sesame oil, plus extra for tossing with noodles
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped spring onions to garnish
- Put water and salt into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the noodles. Separate noodles whilst they are boiling.
- Drain in a colander, run under cold water and leave until cold to prevent them overcooking. Toss with sesame oil.
- Heat the wok until hot, then add groundnut oil. When the oil is smoking hot, add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the pork, stir well to break up all the pieces and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes or until it loses its pink colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the sesame oil. Season with black pepper to taste and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Return the noodles to the wok and heat for 2 minutes, mixing well. Stir in the sesame oil and mix. Turn onto a platter, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve