Rice Noodles with Broccoli
This recipe takes advantage of the quick cooking characteristics of rice noodles. Cooked for about two minutes and then combined with the blanched broccoli for another few minutes, the noodles make a delectable vegetarian dish for one or two persons. Any leftovers reheat (stir-fry) very nicely.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 minutes
Ideal Wok Pairing: 36cm Non-Stick Wok - Large, non-stick carbon steel wok.
1 lb (450g) broccoli
12 oz (350g) thin dried rice noodles
1 1/2 tablespoons oil, preferably groundnut
2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons spring onions, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt, and bring to the boil.
- Separate the broccoli heads into small florets, and peel and slice the stems. Blanch the broccoli pieces in the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Place the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Drain the hot water from the blanched broccoli into the rice noodles and immerse the broccoli pieces in cold water. Drain the broccoli thoroughly.
- Let the noodles stand in the hot water for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a non stick wok or large frying pan until it is hot, then add the oil, garlic, and spring onions. Stir-fry for 20 seconds. Stir in the drained rice noodles and broccoli and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Then add the water, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixture onto platter and serve at once.
* This recipe can be easily doubled for a larger crowd.
* If you like it spicy, add 2 teaspoons of chilli bean sauce with the oyster sauce.